Symonds Yat Limekilns
Site Owner: Private Landowner
This limekiln was used from 1700s onwards making lime by heating limestone to over 1000°C. The lime was used in building for mortar, plaster and limewash; in a variety of industrial processes and in agriculture as a soil improver.
This particular lime kiln was out of use by 1850. Limekilns are a common feature of the Wye Valley because of the availability of limestone and plentiful supplies of charcoal as fuel. At this location, the lime product could have been loaded onto boats for transport up or down the river Wye.