Site Owner: Forestry Commission Wales
This lime kiln is one of many scattered throughout the local countryside. They were often built into the hillside at locations to capitalise on local resources of limestone (from nearby quarries) and charcoal from surrounding woodland. They were filled through a chargehole at the top of the structure, burning limestone to over 1000 °C. The resulting lime was used to make lime products such as lime mortar, plaster, lime wash and for agricultural purposes to improve the soil. This particular lime kiln was out of use by 1850.