River Connections

Before the establishment of a road and bridge network the river Wye used to be the main watery highway linking the riverside villages with the wider world.

Boatmen navigated trows laden with cargo betwen the Wyseide wharves and goods were delivered to the riverside villages. A horse towing path was added in 1808, but only up to Hereford; as previously barges were man-hauled.

Our Partners